Hello! I’m Jelmer Verleun, born on May 3, 2003, in The Netherlands. As a passionate and driven student, I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at the University of Applied Sciences. My academic journey and work experience have equipped me with a keen interest and foundational knowledge in various business domains, particularly in process management, consultancy, operations strategy, performance management, economics, and organizational change management.
The reason I aim to pursue an internship in Canada is to gain more experience in becoming independent, explore different cultures, and enhance my English proficiency.
- Preferred Location: Canada, ideally in Toronto, or other major English-speaking cities in the region.
- Internship Duration: September 2, 2024, to January 2025.
- Interest Areas: Government organizations or large-scale companies, with a focus on roles that involve advisory and investigative functions.
- Scope of Work: Eager to engage in complex projects that encompass business improvement or innovation, functioning as a ‘junior project manager’.
- Project Assignment: To tackle an organizational improvement or innovation challenge.
- Work Environment: Preferably in an organization with at least 15 employees, offering substantial stakeholder interaction and support.
- Supervision: A company supervisor who operates at a higher professional education level, dedicating significant time for guidance and interim progress discussions.
- Schedule: Four days a week at the work placement (two for the assignment and two for work-related tasks) and one day reserved for educational purposes.
Assignment Complexity Criteria
- Tackling current business issues of importance/urgency.
- Involving multiple stakeholders with diverse perspectives.
- Navigating conflicting interests/values among stakeholders.
- Addressing problems without single, straightforward solutions.
- Dealing with incomplete/contradictory information.
- Exploring multiple solutions, each with unique pros and cons.
For a detailed overview of my academic and professional background, please refer to my attached CV.
Study profile; Economy & society (In the Netherlands you must choose a subject package in the 4th year of your 'HAVO' education. You can choose from Culture & society, economy & society, nature & health and nature & technology
First year’s degree; 7,45 average Main phase (year 2-4); 7,30 average First internship; 8
In the Netherlands, it's customary during the 3rd or 4th year of a Bachelor's program to select an elective course of study, referred to as a 'minor.' My chosen minor focused on Consultancy, involving a six-month period dedicated to operating our independent consultancy firm and executing multiple assignments.
Work & Experience
After completing my internship I transitioned into a part-time role at BLR-Bimon. In my current role I mainly focus on generating insights from data to improve operational processes.
During my internship, I performed various operational tasks and also conducted a study on the staff shortage, which I successfully completed with a rating of 8 (out of 10).
I worked as an assistant cook at an Italian restaurant, primarily assisting in the preparation and baking of pizzas.
Producing cookies, for example Dutch 'stroopwafels'.